Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wordplay

I just watched a documentary on crossword puzzles. I’m sure quite a few people would find that beyond boring, but I thought it was a lot of fun. And besides, now I know what Will Shortz looks like and more about the whole crossword puzzle construction, which is fun. I wanted to go into puzzle making when I was a kid, or somehow solve puzzles for a living, but somewhere along the line that dream or idea fluttered away. I think I’d like to call it back and nurture it. Not that I expect to make money doing them, or even create any that are worthwhile for other people, but they’re fun and I want to foster that amusement and keep my brain working in high gear.

Besides, now that I know there’s a tournament every year, it might be fun to go to one, as soon as I feel more comfortable with the puzzles. I’ll have to start doing more and more and more and timing myself and figuring out what exactly I need to work on. I wouldn’t really expect to win at a tournament, but it would be a lot of fun to go, I think.

Maybe that’s what this journal will be for - chronicling my crossword puzzle journey. For posterity’s sake, just in case I ever do get so far as even the top three at the tournament. ;)

I just did a Monday puzzle in 9:33 - no errors or blanks. I’m definitely going to have to get that one down. But this will be fun!

No comments: